Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's worth repeating...

<lecturing>

I don't often post links. Arrogant? Perhaps. I'm not the most interesting person I know. Still, I think the time has come (and gone and come again) to call your Congressperson to put more pressure on the Bush-Cheney administration to open up the documents created during the "Energy Task Force" held in spring of 2001, when the Bush administration was yet young and untroubled. Our Vice President, who has earned the double entendre of his title many times over, has fought quite successfully to keep what went on in that meeting secret, although eventually it did come to light that solar, wind and geothermal need not apply, but the major US oil companies had a free hand. When this came to light, the Bush administration trotted out a last-minute energy policy, which was basically, "More of the same. Global warming, schmobal schmarming." It was lame. Why this would necessitate bringing together enormous energy companies who all basically already agree remained a mystery we can only speculate on.

Jon Taplin, however, does it particularly well here.

I don't mind oil. I own a car. We heat the condo in the winter using gas and while I really like the solar panels on top of the Uncommon Ground at the end of our street, I kind of hate the atmosphere. Utilizing oil is a good idea, but I'll tell you what... using it wisely is a better idea. Passing laws to force automakers to make more energy efficient cars, or to pay a tax for the guzzlers they do make, is a good idea. Advising homeowners on better insulation and tax breaks for solar energy is also good. It doesn't take a heroic amount of change, just someone interested in a little belt-tightening. Because if we don't figure it out soon, we're all going to groan under the weight of $200/barrel oil.

And that's not even factoring in the human cost. Don't get me started.

</lecturing>

No comments: