Thursday, February 28, 2008

Boot Failure

I work in computers. Most often, a boot failure means the hard drive died, or, less often, the power supply or the motherboard. On very rare occasions, the RAM dies, or the heat from the other components causes a part to become separated from the motherboard.

This morning, I had a very different boot failure on the way to work. This kind turned my leather Caterpillar work boots into one half of a pair of flip flops. When I walked into the office, every other step went, "FLUP!" (pause) "FLUP!" (pause) "FLUP!" It doesn't help that I wear men's 11-1/2 boots. Ironically, this morning I was thinking about bringing my running shoes to work, in case I got uncomfortable or wanted to work out, but the threat of snow later made me reconsider. That's it; we need time travel PRONTO.

I wound up fastening a pair of rubber bands from the heel to the little leather piece that sticks off the back of the ankle, just to give me a little more stealth. Later on, Joe, a very kind man who works in my office, hooked me up with some super glue. That, plus the rubber bands, should keep me from having to make an emergency visit to Payless.

Stuff like this reminds me that this week, in my life, is Sweeps Week. So much drama.

No comments: