Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Looking at the world through rose-colored...


I wore glasses to work today. It's been ages since I wore them last, and my co-worker Scott observed, "You just don't see glasses that big anymore." True, I'm desperately out of fashion. I got these glasses a little bit less than a decade ago, when I was at work and started getting an ocular migraine. At first, it looked like a tiny spot of static in the corner of my eye, then it began to spread, taking over my right eye and the periphery of my left. Then the headache hit me. Apparently, the optometrist told me, I was compensating for 20/25 vision in my right eye with the muscles around my lens, which had gotten fatigued and decided to stab me through my nerve endings. So I bought glasses, nice ones at the time, ending a two-decade era in which I also wore glasses, but fake ones, since I had 20/20 vision in both eyes.

Now I'm older, but apparently my eyes aren't getting significantly worse, despite the fact that I a) read pretty much all the time, b) work on computers, c) draw with my face about 2" away from the paper. I wonder if the extra muscle strength is due to the fact that I punish them, and if one day they won't just pop out in search for a better owner, like pugs, except without the smashed face.

I never noticed it until now, but this face looks an awful lot like my "Sling Blade" pose. Some call it a kaiser blade. Mmmn-hnnh.

1 comment:

Mom. said...

I think you look handsome in your glasses. They add
a business look. Hey, I'm biased.
Love ya.