Monday, March 03, 2008

Busted

So, this post may appear very derivative, especially if you like me are an avid reader of the blog of Tim Ryder, but I'm going to take part in a very special forward, called the 123 Meme. The rules:

123 Meme Rules: (1) Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating! (2) Turn to page 123. (3) Find the first 5 sentences. (4) Post the next 3 sentences. (5) Tag 5 people.

Now, here's where my nerdiness is revealed. Because I have the option of either: a) MCSA/MCSE Exam 70-290 Training Kit: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment, or b) an ebook
by Charles Stross called Scratch Monkey that I've been reading on my iPhone. I'm rejecting choice (a) because its pages are numbered in maddening non-linear chapter-pages, meaning there is no page 123, nor is there a 1-23 because chapter 1 ends at page 22. Other chapters might go as high as 60. Also, who really wants to read sentences like, "The DSADD command, introduced in Chapter 2, is used to add objects to Active Directory." Boooooring.

So here's Charles Stross, who is anything but...

Oshi came to her feet suddenly, felt her blood pressure drop and blipped her adrenal glands into play -- aren't military bionics wonderful -- and looked round. Green contours of light tracked through every surface, revealing and concealing the secret life that surrounded them. She pursed her lips and whistled, experimentally; in one corner a cobweb flickered lucent blue.

Now comes the viral part. I'm tagging Brandi, Ryan Dee Gilmour, Mom-in-law Eileen, Dave Maxwell, and Shane Wilson, to hopefully kickstart him off this blogging dry spell that recently culminated in the birth of his delightful son, Dashiell.

Luck to you all.

3 comments:

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Hooray for military bionics! Almost as nerdy as your first choice, but much more entertaining. I knew I wouldn't regret tagging you.

Karen said...

Baby Wilson is here? Now if only Shane would blog. Must go request baby info on his blog. :-)

Matt said...

Thanks, Tim! I really liked the shout-out, even if it did mean exposing the nerdy inner mantle of this otherwise rocky exterior. Take care!