Monday, June 02, 2008

The Science-Hero Haircut

I recently got the call to work as an extra, but since I'm
contractually obliged not to blog about the movie (and have nothing to
write in any case; extras are the bottom of the barrel, Hollywood-
wise), I'll treat you to a photo I snapped of the groovy haircut I got
free of charge on Friday. My stylist worked very hard to give me
something appropriate to the 1930's, and in addition to succeeding
admirably, turned in a little extra credit in the form of my science
hero 'do.

Now, I've always kind of loathed my sideburns, but despite my best
efforts, they creep down my face as my hair grows between haircuts.
Shaving too far up makes me afraid for no good reason, so every time I
shear my little Eurobeard off (I go a while between shaves, mostly
because my job lets me get away with it), the razor goes a few
millimeters shy of the line. So the sideburns grow. I guess they look
natural enough that the stylists I usually go to don't even think to
cut them off, and of course I forget, but it's nice to be reminded
what I could look like with a little effort. The result was nice
enough that one of the extras playing a prostitute remarked, "Wow, you
rock that."

I thanked her and went inside for my wardrobe fitting.

The only thing I can think of better than science hero is science
villain. And the more I look at my head under dramatic lighting, the
more I see the pre-transformation Joker from Alan Moore/Brian
Bolland's "The Killing Joke."

So don't cross me.

3 comments:

Fremodada said...

Tell Brandi to keep away from electric baby bottle heaters.

David M Maxwell said...

I wanna know when you're going to try my hairstyle... :-P

Matt said...

I did! Almost eight years ago, I shaved my head completely for Halloween (going as Spider Jerusalem). It was a great experience, but I'm sorry I didn't get more photos. Since then, Brandi has informed me that she will kill me if I ever do that again.

But someday, I will...