Friday, June 06, 2008

The Penguin in the Mann Movie

I've spent a couple of sleepless nights this week playing extra on a
movie shooting in Hollywood. I took notes and will post them later,
but in the meanwhile, please enjoy this very regal pose I struck in
the Extras Holding Area I spent approximately fifteen seconds in
Tuesday and Thursday nights. The majority of the time I spent HURRYING
into wardrobe, HURRYING to get hair done, HURRYING to the set and then
waiting for the shot to get set up, waiting to get assigned a path
through all the other seated extras, and, finally, pretending to wait
tables. The shoes they gave me aspired to an extremely low level of
comfort, and I spent the first night in a great deal of back pain
because, at least for movie extras, waiters don't sit down. Last
night, it was because I would wrinkle my apron, but I found ways
around that, such as taking it off during extended breaks.

More later. Lots of drama ahead.

7 comments:

Fremodada said...

OK, I think you've got the acting chops and charm down for the acting thing, but man, you definitely have THE HAIR. Tom Hanks/Harrison Ford/Michael Douglas moppish style hair that, the moment you buzz it short, makes you looks like some jerk of a lawyer - but when you grow it out, you're Indy Jones/that guy Douglas played in Romancing the Stone. Grow it out even a little more, and you are Tom Hanks.

Matt said...

That is ridiculously flattering to me.

I did not tell you to stop.

Love your avatar.

Fremodada said...

With the beard, you are Will Riker. I cannot top that. I did give Adam props for having Steve Martin colored greyish hair.

Matt said...

Yeah, I kind of expected to have his hair color by now, given how fast I was greying in college. I envy that man's head, most days.

Another grey colleague pointed out to me that I probably stopped greying so quickly when I started exercising, watching my weight, running marathons, and generally getting enough sleep, so the moment we have babies, you just know I'm going to pass Adam up.

That moment is not soon, by the way. But it is not never.

Fremodada said...

Seriously, I think we could get you a ton of gigs by putting you in various uniforms/costumes. A starfleet/Galatica style future uniform would be best to start. You could do it both ways - dye the hair to black, go clean shaven and you can be "young Lieutenant Larsen." Then grow the beard, go back to your natural color, give you an eye scar, and now you're "grizzled Captain Larsen."

OK, I'm getting into this. For the younger photos, lets have you standing in front of a statue, all clean and happy. In the next, we'll have you standing behind a fire of some sort, blood coming out of your mouth, hanging onto the bridge of your ship. It will sell!

The hair is key.

David M Maxwell said...

That looks like the "just before he goes psycho" shot. I picture the next frame with a lot more red in the ensemble... Or maybe it's the really gory kung-fu flicks I've been watching lately.

Matt said...

Anyone in a tuxedo standing motionless for long enough looks to me like the waiters in Kubrick's "The Shining," and, therefore, are ghosts prompting reclusive authors to kill their families and Scatman Cruthers. So I sympathize.

Also, standing around in dress shoes for about twelve hours honestly makes me want to drench myself in the blood of other extras, especially the ones who, having been told NOT to talk while the cameras are rolling, do, and insist on saying dumb stuff like, "He just shit himself. What do you think of that?" What do I think? I'll give you my opinion in the form of this broken champagne flute, jammed into your esophagus, that's what I think.

Then again, directors don't like when you kill the other extras. It ruins continuity, or some such.